Harvard Academy Scholars Program
The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies is now accepting applications from current Ph.D. recipients and doctoral applicants in the social sciences or law for its 2022 Academy Scholars Program. The closing date for the submission of applications for the Harvard University Academy Scholars Program is September 23, 2022.
Harvard University 2022/2023 Academy Scholars Program is contacting for applications –The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding young scholars whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences or law with a command of the language, history, or culture of countries or regions other than the United States or Canada.
Their research may shed light on domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, both past, and present.
The Academy Scholars are a special group of individuals with creativity, initiative, curiosity, and originality whose work in cultures or regions other than the United States or Canada shows promise as a foundation for exceptional careers at prominent universities or international institutions.
Academy Scholars are appointed to a two-year in-residence postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard University’s The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies in Cambridge, MA.
They receive substantial financial and research support to conduct long-term research projects and/or acquire specialized training in their chosen fields and areas.
The Senior Scholars, an esteemed group of senior Harvard University faculty members, serve as mentors to the Academy Scholars, assisting them in reaching their intellectual potential.
Harvard University Academy Scholars Program Eligibility
- Open to recipients of Ph.D. or comparable doctoral degrees (within two years of the August 1, 2023, start date) and advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences.
- Scholars nearing dissertation completion must be able to submit degree conferral documentation issued by their university registrar’s office by June 30, 2023, for an August 1, 2023, start date.
- Individuals who hold or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
Harvard University Academy Scholars Program Benefits
- Each year, five or six Academy Scholars are named for two-year appointments with an annual stipend of $75,000, with the two years to be completed within a three-year window.
- Year 1 of the fellowship must be taken up no later than the fall immediately following the postdoctoral fellowship offer. Delays or deferrals in the start of Year 1 are not permitted. Between Years 1 and 2, Academy Scholars may apply for a one-time leave (up to 12 months), either to accept or to continue with a tenure-track teaching appointment but for no other reason. Academy Scholars may not accept other sources of funding, awards, or obligations during their appointment.
How to Apply
The completed application will include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume; including a list of publications
- Research proposal (2000 words maximum); including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- One scholarly writing sample (e.g., Ph.D. dissertation chapter or peer-reviewed academic journal article); only ONE sample may be submitted and it must be in English
- A copy of your Ph.D. program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application)
Letters of recommendation must be uploaded by the deadline of September 23, 2022.
All parts of the application, including the three letters of recommendation, are submitted online as PDF documents. Note that a full application packet must not exceed 10MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
If you think this post can be helpful to someone else, please share it. There are buttons below for easy sharing and ask any questions using the comment section below.